25 November 2010

tell me a story

Remember that time when...

Reminiscing can be so delightful. Oh and I do love a good story. Some people are particularly gifted in storytelling. There is value in telling stories. The amount of movies made and books written easily backs up that statement. There is a lot of value, more than just the money kind, in hearing historical stories, events that really happened. The good are inspiring and the bad can help warn us and both can help us learn. The Bible is a book full of these kind of stories. It seems is was a part of their culture to tell stories. The Israelites were often encouraged to retell events and happenings from one generation to the next. At the beginning of the book of Joel it says, "Hear this, you leaders of the people. Listen all who live in the land. In all your history, has anything like this happened before? Tell your children about it in the years to come, and let your children tell their children. Pass the story down from generation to generation." NLT

Doing this kept their history alive. It reminded them of where they had come from. But I think it was more than that too. Especially when it came to their God stories which so much of their history revolves around. The generations needed to know these God stories but I also think they were encouraged to retell them so they would remember themselves. I think we humans too easily forget.

What about OUR God stories? The Bible is not the only place to find stories about God. Anyone who has a relationship with God will have their own God stories. Yes, it is good to pass them on but it's also good to tell our God stories to remind ourselves.

At times I've found myself wondering if God really does exist or if He really does care for me or if He really is doing anything, anything at all, to help me through. In these moments I need to stop my emotional tangent and remind myself that there have been multiple times in my life when God has been very real to me. I need to retell my God stories, my experiences with God. Even just to myself. So I remember. I'd love to hear other people's God stories more too. To be encouraged and inspired and better understand God.

Tell me a story?

Or tell yourself one.
Or someone else.

Just don't lose them to the fading memories.


Note: Here's one of my God stories. I'll share another in my next post.

No comments: