06 August 2010

smart move

Oh yay! I'm getting quite excited again about an adventure in the UK. For a while there I was getting a little stressed as I originally planned to find a nanny job in the UK and move there of my own doing. The time has come when preparations need to begin and the idea was becoming a bit daunting. But thank you God for google search! I've found a program I can go with.

I came across Smart AuPairs and after looking through I realised that I meet the requirements. Most aupair programs only go to about 26 years old you see which puts me in the too-old category. But since the youth mobility visa for the UK goes up to 30 so does the Smart AuPairs program. They also go to other European countries but they go with the younger age group. I finally got a hold of someone in the Adelaide office the other day and fired all my questions at them and now I'm satisfied. As long as my application is excepted (and I don't see why not), I have a program to go with. It takes a lot of stress off.

The AuPair program means I have a structure to follow for getting myself ready which helps a lot. They also help me find a family and the families are screened just like I am so it's safer. They also support me when I go so that if things aren't working out they'll help or find me a new family to work for. I still have to organise my own airfare and visa but I'd planned to do that anyway so that's fine. There's also three different levels in the UK: AuPair, Mother's Help and Professional Nanny. Each level is more responsibility, more hours and more pay. I'm not quite sure if I qualify for all of them but I like the idea of having a professional nanny certificate at the end of my year. I've been working on my application the last couple of weeks and it's close to being done.

So YAY! It's all happening. Just gotta keep organising, culling and saving, saving, saving!!

No comments: