02 September 2009

newness

It's SPRING! The season of newness. Leaves will soon be budding on twiggy trees, some blossoms are out already, there's a little more sunshine and it's increasing (slowly but still...) and the expectations of baby sightings in the animal world. It's a season that inspires some newness in my life too. New starts anyway. I've seen some programs lately on healthy eating and decided I need to do more to make sure my body is getting all the nutrients it needs. Mostly I've been eating somewhat healthy mixed with a lot of sugar and fat tastebud addictions and quick non-nutritious meals. So I looked up a site about low GI foods and have been flicking through some healthy cooking books. It takes a while to get it in and filter it through. So my cooking today was of a healthy nature and also newness in the area of something I've not tried or tasted before. I made Pumpkin Curry with Couscous.
I've had couscous once before, in the USA, but this was different. I think the stuff I had in the USA was Israeli couscous and it was bigger and more ball-like. But this was good too. It worked out quite well. I sort of looked at a recipe and just took some ideas and threw stuff together and cooked the couscous as the packet directed. I put in curry paste, coconut milk, pumpkin, sweet potato, capsicum, beans, spinach and chickpeas. Even Matt said it was pretty good..."for pumpkin!"

And it was such a beautiful day today. Quite sunny. Work was spent almost entirely outside playing (that's nannying for ya) and when I got home Matt and I went and played a bit of tennis. It's been quite a while since we have. And I lost. Just.

For other newness, this week I adjusted a new opshop find to suit me. A lovely green flower print singlet top I've been wearing over my black longsleeve top. I'm also working on making a needle roll to keep all my knitting needles and crochet hooks in. With one of my housemate's in the process of moving out, Matt and I have talked about just paying the extra and having a spare room. We have plans to rearrange things which leaves me having a room for my crafting!!! How exciting is that! My own studio. (Which will also contain Matt's electric drum kit and cupboard of stuff and space to bunk up visitors so they don't have to sleep in the lounge.) Oh and I cleared my desk and its now an organised space for creating. Pics on my other blog.

So there's been a bit of newness happening for this new spring season. Hope there's some fresh newness in your world too.

No comments: